So, thanks to an anonymous donor, the music collection took quite a bump in November. Let’s take a peek:
- (Ǎhk-to͝ong Bāy-Bi) Covered / Various Artists (iTunes)
A bunch of big name (and medium name) bands covering songs from U2’s Achtung Baby. Pretty good stuff.
- Another Life / Mark Stoermer (web site)
The bassist from The Killers. It was a free download. It’s really far too mellow rock for me.
- Different Gear - Still Speeding / Beady Eye (iTunes)
Ah, Liam Gallagher and the rest of Oasis minus Noel Gallagher. It has moments. Not a huge fan though.
- A different Kind of Fix / Bombay Bicycle Club (iTunes)
Indie rock out of North London. You can tell they grew up on Lush and other shoe gazer bands of the 90’s.
- The Drums / The Drums (iTunes)
I guess this is “indie rock”, but if you really miss old, poppy Cure and New Order then this is for you.
- Elsie / The Horrible Crowes (iTunes)
Soft rock, stick with The National instead.
- Foxy Shazam / Foxy Shazam (iTunes)
Do you miss Queen and Journey? Give this a listen.
- Hunger / Frankie & The Heartstrings (iTunes)
Do you miss the Jam, even though you thought it was too punk?
- Junk of the Heart / The Kooks (iTunes)
You either like his voice or you don’t.
- Killer Sounds / Hard-Fi (UK only at the moment)
A strong follow to ‘Once Upon A Time In The West’
- Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds / Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds (iTunes)
These solo efforts from the Gallagher brothers show that Oasis was far more than the sum of its parts. Like Beady Eye above, it has moments…
- Psycho Jukebox / Jon Fratelli (iTunes)
I do miss The Fratellis, but they’re gone. It’s time to move on and this is a good album, just don’t expect the edge of The Fratellis. It’s like Jon “grew up” or something.
- Romance Is Boring / Los Campesinos! (iTunes)
Fun indie rock on the edgy guitar side with catchy vocals.
- Ungrateful / Frankie & The Heartstrings (UK only at the moment)
I would bet money these guys opened for Billy Brag in some nowhere club in London once.